7.13.2010

What I Love About My Life: Golden Alpine Strawberries

photo by DK Crawford © 2010

Thomas Jefferson grew white (also called golden) Fraises du bois, or strawberries of the woods in his garden. These tiny gems come in both white and red varieties and even stronger musk ones.

As with most wild edibles, these small berries are more flavorful than cultivated varieties. They are less hardy, and don't ship well and when you pick them, they kind of deflate in your hand, but their outstanding flavor makes them so worth growing! They have a distinct aroma that's stronger than the large red strawberries you get at the market. They are an epicure's delight when striving for distinct flavors rather than bulk.

I ordered my itty bitty, (almost need a magnifying glass to see them) "yellow delight "seeds from this online store. The seeds grow easily enough but they take some tending in the beginning as they must stay moist --then they are virtually care-free! I bought six varieties to grow and thus far the golden/white ones took the quickest. And what's more is the birds are tricked by the color so won't destroy them like they do the red berries.

What I Love About My Life: Rustling through my wild strawberry plant when I'm out in the garden and picking a handful to snack on as I go along. They are also excellent in salads, cocktails and sauces. My only complaint is mine never make it beyond the garden into the kitchen -- I simply can't help myself.
blog comments powered by Disqus